Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What is Postmodern Eclecticism?

In case some were wondering (ie: my only current reader, Joey Infortuno) what Postmodern Eclecticism means and why I am writing this blog, I shall explain in greater depth here. First, I would like to point to my involvement in the Interactive Arts. Having studied arduously at Emerson College, I wish to apply my new found love of Business Administration to the domain of postmodern interactive art, which thusly includes VFX, CGI, Design, business operations, and information-technology. As the world of technology becomes a more complex place, so will the promotion and use of entertainment mediums. What all this means is that it is far more difficult and complex to run an entertainment business (especially in the ever-expansive web)

I find it important to take note of postmodernist involvement in the running of businesses. Where art is concerned, postmodernism shall reign, even with the epitomizing futurist movement on the rise. Despite the metaweb ruled by poststructuralist tendencies, I cannot overlook the foregoing, retrospectiveness involved in this paradigm. The paradigm I refer to is the impossibility of knowing everything one should know in order to run a promising corporation today. A good CEO of an entertainment company will know enough information in all realms to hire a good CCO, CTO, COO, and CFO. For one, you should know enough about business to properly run it. This goes without saying, of course, however the true syntagm of a great business leader is prevalent when they understand the realms of art and technology as well operating and administrating over their business.

Where does postmodernism step in? Since it's so important to understand how your company's creative and technology departments work (more than financing, as without the former two, financing cannot exist), it's also important to understand the history of both, and the relationships between the oldest forms and the newest forms. Perhaps I am old-fashioned, however the development of all the different forms of mediums that carry your product is an important subject when it comes to entertaining audiences.

Why the eclecticism then? Because trying new mediums is terribly important to the success of your business. Eclecticism and eccentricism are two key fundamentals behind my blog, but I am most certainly not condoning walking blindly into syntagm and paradigm. If there is anything I learned from my media studies, it's that research is an important tool for any business to become a success.

I know I covered quite a bit of ground, however one certainly can't sum up Peter Drucker's books and apply his teachings to the entertainment realm in just one blog post.

1 comment:

Joey Infortuno said...

Thanks Galen but you could have just linked a Google definition and saved yourself the trouble...

Btw, Wikipedia has a page on post-modern classicism but nothing on "Postmodern Eclecticism"...might as well create the page while you're at it. e-complishments ftw!

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Post-modern_eclecticism&action=edit